My 3 year old son got a new Shih Tzu puppy for Christmas, and he was excited beyond words! He would have it no other way than for the dog to sleep in his room beside his bed from day 1.

Last Saturday, March 15 2014, we took him for his first ever grooming day. He got a bath, nails cut, and hair cut. By the following Monday he acted like he didn't feel good. Keep in mind this puppy was wired!

Bouncing off the walls 24/7. By Tuesday he started vomiting, took him to the vet. By Wednesday he couldn't walk or eat. By Thursday second trip to the vet where he never left!

Diagnosed with Parvo. Vet said he had to have gotten it from another dog. He was never around any other dog except for his trip to Petsmart in Oxford, MS for grooming.

Beware! Its not a pleasant thing to try and explain to a 3 year old his new puppy isn't coming home!

Review about: Petsmart Grooming Service.

Comments

How old was your puppy? Did you give it all of the needed shots?

It honestly sounds like it came from a puppy mill.

"Local breeder" probably means pet store. AKA: puppy mill.

Nashville, Tennessee, United States #816283

Do yourself a favor and google Puppy Mill Mississippi. You won't be wondering why your new "healthy" puppy from a pet store came down with Parvo. Don't support the mistreatment of animals.

to Erin Chicago, Illinois, United States #816288

Erin, can you tell us exactly how you assumed this puppy was bought from a "puppy mill" or even a "pet store?" Neither are true! This puppy was bought from a local breeder in our home town that we know personally with an excellent reputation as a breeder as well as being genuine good people. Your assumptions were way off base.

to s_hill Orange, California, United States #816379

Can you just grow up and admit you killed your puppy instead of blaming it on pet smart? Have you sold it's carcus to a Korean restaurant yet?

to s_hill #816519

Sorry for your loss.

to s_hill #862522

It's called inbreeding. Kinda kills the immune system when your $800 pup came from dad humping daughter to make your little miracle. Pure breed parvovirus goodness

Portola Valley, California, United States #804720

The reality is that if you did not bleach your shoes or remove them before entering your home, you could have brought the disease home that way from your own community in places you walked. Sadly, the vet did not inform you of that.

:roll

I'm sorry for your loss. It's a terrible sickness. Just like any microscopic illness, you never know where it could be lurking in any environment.

Your vet should not assume that's where it was transmitted if you haven't been sanitary to begin with.

Mesa, Arizona, United States #797885

Its very horriblethat your puppy died but it is certainly NOT petsmarts fault. It is yours.

Why was your puppy not vaccinated with its puppy shots? Parvo is so so so contagious that unless your puppy was NEVER going to ever step foot outside, not even to go to the bathroom ever(obviously this would never happen) then he should have been vaccinated.

It is not petsmarts fault yyou failed to care properly for a puppy who depended on you to give him everything he needed. Also,thete is no way to even tell if your puppy got it from petsmart

to Ericarae11 Mesa, Arizona, United States #797886

I just saw thatyou actually had the puppy properly vaccinated so i apologize for saying it was your fault. I am actually a groomer at petsmart, and the only shots we REQUIRE by law is the rabies shot, but obviously we HIGHLY recommend that your dog have all its other shots as well.

Parvo is a very scary disease too. Your puppy didnt have to even come in contact with a dog to get it, when you stepped out of your car in the parking lot he could have picked it up from the grund there, or even in your drive way, anywhere another dog could have passed by and left it behind.

Or your puppy could have contracted the virus before you had him vaccinated from wherever you got him from(this is a very common and horrible problem when you get from "breeders") it may have laid dormant that whole time and then the stress of his first experience at the groomers may have brought it out. Again, im sorry for what i said and sorry forvyour puppy.

to Ericarae11 San Antonio, Texas, United States #797925

You are a very inconsiderate individual. They lost their pet.

Did you know that vaccinations are not 100%. Just because you work at PetSmart, doesn't make you an authority. PetSmart does not monitor every pet's vaccinations when pets come in the door, nor do they sanitize the floor constantly, therefore, this puppy could have very well contracted Parvo from PetSmart.

PS...this is a website to vent on.

Your views don't matter to these people. Let people vent. Butt out!

Oh, and learn to spell, type and punctuate properly! :roll

to Annoyed by ***ic Comments a- Orange, California, United States #797950

My guess is that you are eight years old. Why else would you ASSume that I work for Pet Smart for just stating the truth, the truth is this man is blaming someone else for his own negligence.

Does mommy know that you are online? If she does not have her read my comments to you because no where did I state that I work for Pet Smart. Your childish assumption that I work for Pet Smart would be like my saying this guy is lying and trying to discredit Petsmart because he got fired from Petsmart. It has the same eight year old level of logic you are using.

Again have mommy read the review to you and all the comments so you know no where does it state I for Pet Smart. You learn to read properly and punctuate properly. You need two spaces between sentences.

Have mommy explain this to you as well because obviously this is as poor as your reading comprehension skills. If this man does not want to read comments he should leave the site, not everyone is going to side with him.

to Annoyed by ***ic Comments a- Mesa, Arizona, United States #798261

I apologized to him. And yes, i know vaccinations do not always work.

And i never said i was an authority haha. And yes,you're right we dont moniterevery pets shot records that come through the door, how exactlt would we do that for every person that comes in? Stop them at the door each time and look through all their shot records and turn them awayif not? Dumb.

Im the grooming salon we require proof of rabies and then owners of dogs should know how omportant the other shots are as well too tho. And we actually sanitize the floors nightly.

I never said it wasnt possible that the puppy might have contracted it from petsmart, just that it wpuldnt be petsmarts fault, so many different things could have happened like being infected with it prior to them even getting the pup. And i know how to spell and punctuate properly, but when im on my phone i dont bother, too much work.

Depending on where you got the puppy, it may have very likely already had the Parvo virus before the little dear was vaccinated. From what you describe above, the symptoms seem to have presented fast, so maybe the virus was already in the puppy for a few days prior?

There is no way of proving it was only picked up at the groomer. I think another commenter mentioned, Parvo is highly contagious and could have easily been picked up anywhere in public.

Parvo is not ONLY passed directly from dog to dog, but transferred by any remains of the virus on the ground, sniffing a shrub, walking along the sidewalk, virtually everywhere dogs go - there potentially lies the Parvo virus. :-(

to Sorry4urLoss Orange, California, United States #797628

this father just does not want to admit that his actions caused the puppy to die, he does not have the balls to face his son and say I think it may be my fault the puppy died so he is blaming petsmart. then he uses his son as a pawn to get us to sympathize with him.

to Sorry4urLoss Jonesport, Maine, United States #797662

I know there are a million possibilities so I guess we will never know for sure. The thing is, we had the puppy for 3 months with no symptoms of Parvo or anything else.

He had not been sick at all until 2 days after his Petsmart trip. I have read as you said how contagious the virus is, but this dog lived inside and has never been anywhere other than our home and we don't and never have had any other dogs since we have lived here.

to s_hill #797911

So does that mean for 3 months the puppy pottied in the house? Because literally anywhere that dog walked outside, it could have picked up the Parvo virus.

why wasn't your puppy vaccinated against parvo? Petsmart and most places only require proof of rabies shots...they reccomend all other puppy shots.

And guess what you can carry parvo on yourself. Step in ***, you bring it home. Parvo is highly contagious and very easy for a puppy to get it.

Your puppy paid the ultimate price for you not vaccinating him.

to pit girl Phoenix, Arizona, United States #797582

I appreciate your comments. I am not sure how common this is, but the puppy WAS vaccinated for Parvo.

He was up to date on all vaccinations, but he still got Parvo. No one in my family is around other dogs at all.

I work in an office and my wife is a teacher. There is no other explanation to this but that he contracted the Parvo somehow during his day of grooming at Petsmart.

to pit girl Orange, California, United States #797593

That is good advise, I hope the father has the balls to tell the son that the puppy died because the father forgot to vaccinate him for Parvo. Hope the son hates him for it, as for selling the puppy to a Chinese restaurant that is a good idea, this father can also tell his son we will be seeing "Rover" when he takes him out to the Chinese restaurant, then tell him, you know that Chicken you ate that was "Rover" Don't lie, take some responsibility for your actions, tell your son the truth, his doggy died because you forgot to have him vaccinated.

Peguera, Balearic Islands, Spain #797557

Sell its carcuss to a Korean or Chinese restaurant. I am sure they can use the dogs meat for some of their "chicken surprise" dishes.