I purchased two guinea pigs from petsmart, a week and a half later one of them developed a large scab on his face. Returned the animal not wanting vet bills as we did not want the expense or did we know what it was.

1 month later i started to develop ring like marking on my face and neck. At the time I was working for a battery company doing installs and figured i had splashed battery acid on my face. I wasn't untill crossing the border that a border guard told me that it looks like ringworm. So I seen a doctor and was diagnosed with ringworm and prescribed lamasil cream @$26.oo per tube.Treated the ringworm with two tubes of cream and it seemed to be gone, ha ha 3 weeks later it was back on my sons scalp with large lesions in 4 places, dont know how it went un noticed.

He is 3 years old and has taken two weeks of fluconisol and is now having to take another months worth of lamisil pills, not fun and I would expect these problems from buying a animal online or from a private dealer not a pet store, they told me that they quarentine there pets for one week before selling them, this is not adequate as ringworm can sit dorment for a month before showing signs. do not buy you pets from petsmart this has been *** for us and you do not want to have to deal with ringworm in your home

Comments

Exeter, England, United Kingdom #663665

I bought a baby guinea pig just 5 days ago from Pets at Home (thought it would be the most reliable place to buy from), he's the cutest guinea ever and full of life popcorning and running around, definitely not stressed when we brought him home, he had a tuft of hair sticking up near his nose for the past 3 days or so, didn't think much of it as I've had a lot of guineas and they've never had ringworm before so didn't recognise it, thought he had praps been lying funny while sleeping, that tuft fell away this morning and showed a red sore.

Concerned it was ringworm I took him back to the store and seen the instore vet, best option was to leave him there (as my husband has low immunity) to be treated which could be anything from 2 weeks to four weeks.

The store is covering the costs of the treatment which is good, so they should be.

The worse part was leaving him, sounds silly cos I've only had him 5 days but I've really bonded with him and he has gotten use to me, as soon as I got out of the store I burst into tears, silly right, but couldn't help it.

If they don't have them in quarantine for at least 2 weeks then I think they should, would save a lot of heartache and stress.

He probably won't even know me when I go to pick him up again :sigh

someone you are right i will never go to a pet store ever again. i went to them for the first time in my life and it was not good experience and the reason i did cause i want to avoid some thing like what i went through and not to mention i had few weeks new born and did not want him to contract cause the medication to get rid of the ringworm we got from the guinea pig was very strong. so instead of resting after giving birth i had to make sure every single day my house was disinfected and my kid away from his new born brother cause as we all know fungus is very contigouse

I actually just bought two guinea pigs from petsmart about two weeks ago. One contracted ringworms about a week ago and the other is 9 weeks pregnant. Never ever ever trust a Pet store!

to Someone #747544

Like. I went to them thinking they should be trusted more than just buying it for craigslist or something but that was not case

HAHAHA YOU ARE FUNNY SO YOU KNOW I HAD PETS ALL MY LIFE AND I KNOW WHAT IT COMES WITH THEM IN MY FAMILY WE SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON VETS. WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS THEY ARE MORRE IMPORTANT WHICH YOU MIGHT KNOW ABOUT MAYBE

GOING TO VET IS PART OF OWING A PET WELL LET ME TELL YOU THAT I OWNED DOGS ALL MY LIFE AND I KNOW THAT PART OF IT BUT NOT A WEEK AFTER YOU BUY IT AND NOT FOR A RING WORM THAT IS RARE. MY KID THAT HAS BEEN DEALING WITH DERMATOLOGIST FOR THREE MONTHS AND TAKING MEDICATION FOR 3 MONTHS TOO AND HAVING TO DEAL WITH THE SIDE EFFECTS(SORRY TO TO DISPOINT TO YOU BUT MY SON WAS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE GUINEA PIG) THE RINGWORM THAT MY KID CONTRACTED FROM THE GUINEAPIG A WEEK AFTER BUYING IT WAS RARE.

I DEALT WITH THEIR INSURANCE AND AS YOU KNOW YOU SIGN A WAIVER WHEN YOU BUY PETS FROM THEM SO I AM ASSUMING IF THEY DID NOT HAVE TO PAY THEY WOULD NOT BUT THEY DID CAUSE THEY KNEW IT WAS THEIR FAULT HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY. YOU SHOULD THINK BEFORE YOU SAY THINGS

I work at Petsmart and we take VERY VERY VERY good care of our animals. only thing we have probs with is fish ( only the cheap ones) other than that our other animals are well takin care of.

If we do see that any of them are sick we take them to Banfield which is in our store. BUT this is depending on Which petsmart u got it from. Iv heard of a few places not taking the best care of them. Those are the ones who dont have good management not the company its self.

WE HAVE VERY GOOD RETURN POLICY ALSO. but i feel sorry for ur problem..

i believe it happened but it prob went unnoticed by the employees ! :(

You really want Petsmart to quarantine animals for a month before they sell them? That's ridiculous just bc on a rare occasion something like this happens.

They would nvr have any animals to sell and they would cost waaaaay more. I'm sorry this happened to you but as you said Petsmart is being responsible and paying for it so it's horrible for you to smear them. And how could a swab possibly prove a source?

Was there guinea pig DNA in it? Lol and I bet that if Petsmart did have to quarantine animals for a month and you were told that they had no guinea pigs available due to this policy you would probably be on here complaining about that.

#352090

in addition my child never went to pre-school or daycare when this happened. Im not your average dummy and I know my *** and petsmart is guilty as sin.

they need to quarantine there

animals longer than two weeks to avoid these problems you think they would learn after all there years in business!! guess i get the last laugh !!

#352089

for all who commented we have confirmed the ringworm came from the guinea pig and are now dealing with petsmarts insurance thx for all the doubt it only made me more adamant about proving it. the swabs showed that it came from the guinea pig and we will be compensated !! ha ha ha ha !!

#352059

If you son goes to a daycare or day camp that is were you probably got the ringworm, he probably got it and than you got it. Ringworm is a common occurrence in these places.

Unless you have proof that the scabs on the pet you had bought face was ringworm (ie you took him to the vet) you have no right to complain and blame Petsmart. I have worked at as a vet assistant for over 5 years and have NEVER seen ringworm on the 100s of animals I have worked with and let me tell you that scabs can be caused by 100s of things.

to TK #747541

yes I do have proofs and it was taking to their insurance company and it is all dealt with and so you know they admitted they were at fault 100% lab test have been proven it is from the g.pig

I would not make this big deal with any proofs

calcgirl0911

first i am 30 years old and have been around animals all my life and never got ringworm.

Second i have been to four different doctors, now dealing with dermatologist and yes it is from the guinea pigs and it takes up to a month for fungus to come out so your info is not right.

Third no they did not get into a fight cause the guinea pig was diagnosed with ringworm

so all of your info is wrong

calcgirl0911

You're realting two totally unrelate stories.

One; PetSmart could not have known the guinea pig was sick if it got sick almost two weeks after you bought it. And if you bought two it is very likely that the two got into a fight and the scab was a result.

Two; You could have gotten ringworm from a variety of places. It can be on the floor somewhere and you could get it.

Three; Ringworm takes about two weeks to appear, not a month.

Four; You don't even know that the guinea pig had ringworm since you decided to not take it to the vet yourself.

Please; do not get another pet if you are not willing to pay for a vet bill. It's like having a child and not taking them to the doctor when they are sick because you don't want a doctor's bill. It's cruel.

to calcgirl0911 #747538

one and only one for ya: it has been proven that the g.pig did have the ringworm and it is a very very rare one, I have dealt with dermatologist for 2 months and lab test came back that is from g.pig.i was not making the stuff up I have never seen or had ringworm in my life that was first I experienced such thing.

why would I take to the vet when I just got if I had it for longer than a month that yeah it would be my duty to do so but that is not the case my three year old and new born in the house were more important off course. taking risk of my new born contracting such thing and put him on harsh medicine would be *** my friend.

think with you brain.

please do not comment if you don't know what you are talking about and for your record I did all of it in right way made sure the pet is back to them and that is their duty to make sure they taking care and they agreed and most importantly is me making sure my kids do all contract the ringworm and I succeeded. don't judge people sweet heart. from what I read sounds like you don't know what you were talking about.

we had dogs since I was a baby and we loved all of them darely and they were well taking care of including taking them to the vet if needed. my mother has spent 30,000 on vet bills sweety

#311940

The G. Pig SHOULD have been examined by the Banfeild vets before it went on the floor. Unfortunately, many of those "vets" are not capable of treating such a large and dangerous animal...

ogstyles
#311935

Anyone else have a petsmart ringworm story they would like to share. I have only read one other :?

to ogstyles #746855

Yes- I have kittens/cats in the PS adoption center. I am trained in shelter medicine.

I have documentation that proves that ringwormed guinea pigs come in all the time. But because they are infected way before the first spot shows staff is not trained/nor are they allowed proper quarantine proceedures. Nor are they allow to use products that kill the spores. The staff at the store I work with spread ringworm to all the kits in the adoption center.

Now everything must be removed.

Our rescue has to pay for the rehabilitative care and expensive meds. And the animals suffer- not to mention all the unknowing public that has handled the kits.

PetsMart animal sales needs to be shut down if they are unwilling to secure the health of the animals and protect the public.

to Jocko #747530

agree. everyone suffers when things like this happen animals and everyone that is around them. petsmart off course try to come as many excuses as they can to protect their behind but that did not work

to ogstyles #1391596

I couldn't stress enough how frustrating it is to deal with ringworm infections at any pet store. Most vets do not have the personnel to appropriately identify ringworm species (there are many, and some require different treatments) and the most common anti-fungal meds like griseofulvin are proven to be ineffective in some cases.

First off, ringworm is easy to treat but the spores are not. The spores are extremely resistant to all kinds of disinfecting treatments and can survive for years before becoming active. Unless you are sanitizing every nanometer of space and using chemicals that have been tested against ringworm spores, there is no guarantee that the infection won't come back sometime down the road. As I stated earlier, the spores can remain inactive for years before they find a suitable host.

Secondly, there is no way Petsmart or any pet store would ever have the resources to appropriately quarantine their animals for ringworm. It would mean having to culture swab every guinea pig, using the correct agar mix when isolating, and sending the cultures to a lab to be identified (7-14 days). If spores were found on a healthy guinea pig, there is no fool proof way to dispose of the spores on a live animal, so it would essentially be a carrier and would contaminate each and every environment it came into.

Thirdly, no one hates ringworm infections - minus those infected by them - then anyone employed at a pet store.

Treatments can last up to a month, you are always dealing with weekly shipments of animals that possibly have it, it is highly contagious and it spawns bad customer experiences (like the one above.) All it takes is for a few spores to get under your fingernail and you could be transmitting to every surface - and animal - you touch. Unless you have a fetish for fungal infections, pet stores will try everything in their power to control ringworm.