I purchased two guinea pigs from petsmart, a week and a half later one of them developed a large scab on his face.Returned the animal not wanting vet bills as we did not want the expense or did we know what it was.

1 month later i started to develop ring like marking on my face and neck. At the time I was working for a battery company doing installs and figured i had splashed battery acid on my face. I wasn't untill crossing the border that a border guard told me that it looks like ringworm. So I seen a doctor and was diagnosed with ringworm and prescribed lamasil cream @$26.oo per tube.Treated the ringworm with two tubes of cream and it seemed to be gone, ha ha 3 weeks later it was back on my sons scalp with large lesions in 4 places, dont know how it went un noticed.

He is 3 years old and has taken two weeks of fluconisol and is now having to take another months worth of lamisil pills, not fun and I would expect these problems from buying a animal online or from a private dealer not a pet store, they told me that they quarentine there pets for one week before selling them, this is not adequate as ringworm can sit dorment for a month before showing signs.do not buy you pets from petsmart this has been *** for us and you do not want to have to deal with ringworm in your home

Had an Experience with Petsmart?

Comments

Exeter, England, United Kingdom #663665

I bought a baby guinea pig just 5 days ago from Pets at Home (thought it would be the most reliable place to buy from), he's the cutest guinea ever and full of life popcorning and running around, definitely not stressed when we brought him home, he had a tuft of hair sticking up near his nose for the past 3 days or so, didn't think much of it as I've had a lot of guineas and they've never had ringworm before so didn't recognise it, thought he had praps been lying funny while sleeping, that tuft fell away this morning and showed a red sore.

Concerned it was ringworm I took him back to the store and seen the instore vet, best option was to leave him there (as my husband has low immunity) to be treated which could be anything from 2 weeks to four weeks.

The store is covering the costs of the treatment which is good, so they should be.

The worse part was leaving him, sounds silly cos I've only had him 5 days but I've really bonded with him and he has gotten use to me, as soon as I got out of the store I burst into tears, silly right, but couldn't help it.

If they don't have them in quarantine for at least 2 weeks then I think they should, would save a lot of heartache and stress.

He probably won't even know me when I go to pick him up again :sigh

someone you are right i will never go to a pet store ever again. i went to them for the first time in my life and it was not good experience and the reason i did cause i want to avoid some thing like what i went through and not to mention i had few weeks new born and did not want him to contract cause the medication to get rid of the ringworm we got from the guinea pig was very strong. so instead of resting after giving birth i had to make sure every single day my house was disinfected and my kid away from his new born brother cause as we all know fungus is very contigouse

I actually just bought two guinea pigs from petsmart about two weeks ago. One contracted ringworms about a week ago and the other is 9 weeks pregnant. Never ever ever trust a Pet store!

to Someone #747544

Like. I went to them thinking they should be trusted more than just buying it for craigslist or something but that was not case

HAHAHA YOU ARE FUNNY SO YOU KNOW I HAD PETS ALL MY LIFE AND I KNOW WHAT IT COMES WITH THEM IN MY FAMILY WE SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON VETS. WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS THEY ARE MORRE IMPORTANT WHICH YOU MIGHT KNOW ABOUT MAYBE

GOING TO VET IS PART OF OWING A PET WELL LET ME TELL YOU THAT I OWNED DOGS ALL MY LIFE AND I KNOW THAT PART OF IT BUT NOT A WEEK AFTER YOU BUY IT AND NOT FOR A RING WORM THAT IS RARE.MY KID THAT HAS BEEN DEALING WITH DERMATOLOGIST FOR THREE MONTHS AND TAKING MEDICATION FOR 3 MONTHS TOO AND HAVING TO DEAL WITH THE SIDE EFFECTS(SORRY TO TO DISPOINT TO YOU BUT MY SON WAS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE GUINEA PIG) THE RINGWORM THAT MY KID CONTRACTED FROM THE GUINEAPIG A WEEK AFTER BUYING IT WAS RARE.

I DEALT WITH THEIR INSURANCE AND AS YOU KNOW YOU SIGN A WAIVER WHEN YOU BUY PETS FROM THEM SO I AM ASSUMING IF THEY DID NOT HAVE TO PAY THEY WOULD NOT BUT THEY DID CAUSE THEY KNEW IT WAS THEIR FAULT HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY.YOU SHOULD THINK BEFORE YOU SAY THINGS

I work at Petsmart and we take VERY VERY VERY good care of our animals.only thing we have probs with is fish ( only the cheap ones) other than that our other animals are well takin care of.

If we do see that any of them are sick we take them to Banfield which is in our store. BUT this is depending on Which petsmart u got it from. Iv heard of a few places not taking the best care of them. Those are the ones who dont have good management not the company its self.

WE HAVE VERY GOOD RETURN POLICY ALSO. but i feel sorry for ur problem..

i believe it happened but it prob went unnoticed by the employees !:(

You really want Petsmart to quarantine animals for a month before they sell them?That's ridiculous just bc on a rare occasion something like this happens.

They would nvr have any animals to sell and they would cost waaaaay more. I'm sorry this happened to you but as you said Petsmart is being responsible and paying for it so it's horrible for you to smear them. And how could a swab possibly prove a source?

Was there guinea pig DNA in it?Lol and I bet that if Petsmart did have to quarantine animals for a month and you were told that they had no guinea pigs available due to this policy you would probably be on here complaining about that.

#352090

in addition my child never went to pre-school or daycare when this happened.Im not your average dummy and I know my *** and petsmart is guilty as sin.

they need to quarantine there

animals longer than two weeks to avoid these problems you think they would learn after all there years in business!!guess i get the last laugh !!

#352089

for all who commented we have confirmed the ringworm came from the guinea pig and are now dealing with petsmarts insurance thx for all the doubt it only made me more adamant about proving it. the swabs showed that it came from the guinea pig and we will be compensated !! ha ha ha ha !!