15.1K views

I was told there would be caring people monitoring my pet at all times. As it turns out, once the store is closed, there is ONE person in the hotel responsible for all the animals. ONE person watching hundreds of dogs and cats. And they aren't even allowed to touch the animals, or clean up if a dog messes in its cage. Of course they're so busy cleaning and doing other tasks that its unlikely they'll even notice if your pet needs attention.

If you don't pay extra for play time, the only time your dog is let out of its cage is a brief walk once in the morning and once at night. Your dog is walked with many other dogs and has to keep up to their pace, and gets no individual contact with people. They won't even take your dog outside to go to the bathroom. Instead they have to go in the 'elimination room' which most dogs refuse to do because they are house trained.

If you do pay for play time, don't expect your dog to actually play. The workers monitoring the dogs generaly just stand there with a spray bottle and ignore the dogs unless they need to clean up a potty accident. They do nothing to prevent fights or humping, don't interact with the dogs at all, and sometimes leave them unattended. The play rooms are tiny and very overcrowded which makes the dogs scared. Most of them spend their 'play time' trying to hide in a corner or fighting off the attention of another dog. My dog left a playroom with an obvious *** on his neck, and I was told they were not responsible for it. The vet bill was over $300.

Make sure you go in back and see what the cages actually look like. If you're not paying extra for a suite, your dog is placed in a cage just big enough for him to turn around in. And remember if you don't pay to play time, that box is where he stays for 23 hours a day.

I give my dog vitamin supplements, but he couldn't have them during his stay because they weren't prescribed by a vet. He also enjoys Busy Bone treats but couldn't have one because nobody would monitor him while he ate it to make sure he didn't choke, and they wouldn't let him have it without supervision.

I measured out his kibble for his stay in indvidual ziplock bags so he would get the correct amount, yet they told me he ran out of food and they had to give him their house supply of Science Diet. So were they overfeeding him, or did they lose the very expensive premium kibble I supplied?

Best of all, the employee at the hotel desk assured me my dog had a grooming appointment set up with their salon during his stay, but when I picked him up his hair hadn't been cut and the groomers I talked to had no idea what I was talking about.

Review about: Petsmart Grooming Service.

Comments

I wouldnt let them groom my dog let alone leave them there overnight. 2 dogs died while "grooming" in Flemington NJ, i refuse to even go there anymore, even for food or supplies! Its another monopoly, they dont care about animals!

As a PetsHotel employee, you should probably definitely complain about whichever store you went to with this. While yes, we only have one employee at night (9-6), they can interact and clean up after the animals, and boarding can only hold 12-15 cats and about 40-50 dogs.

As much as this sounds like a lot, it’s not. It’s relatively easy. As for the group walks in the elimination room, the dogs have no problems using it to do their business and group walks aren’t common. I personally also give dogs more time to do their business in a group walk as opposed to an individual walk.

Paying extra for the 15 minute play time is to compensate for the work of the employee.To recap, employees should care about your animals and clean up after them, or they’re not fit for the job and you need to complain. Dogs get attention and don’t just sit in their waste.

We do pet the dogs when we have free time because dogs are cute. I’m sorry your experience sucked, but hotels aren’t supposed to be like what you experienced and you should definitely complain about that one to corporate.

UNFORTUNATELY, THIS IS VERY COMMON IN OTHER PET HOTELS. I LEFT MY DOG AT A SIMILAR FACILITY IN CHATTANOOGA, TN AND THE CAMERA (THAT I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO VIEW MY PET ON) NEVER WORKED.

I ALSO HAD THE REST OF MY DOG'S FOOD DISAPPEAR - AND I HAD BROUGHT PLENTY. WE WERE GONE A WEEK AND HE HAD DEFINITELY LOST WEIGHT. OF COUSRE THEY DON'T ALWAYS EAT WELL AWAY FROM HOME BUT WOULD THAT NOT MEAN I WOULD HAVE SOME FOOD LEFT? HMMM?

I HAVE WORKED AS A VET TECH FOR YEARS AND I CAN SAY THAT THE KENNEL AND VET INDUSTRY HAS BECOME A BIG BUSINESS - MAKING MONEY.

IT'S VERY HARD TO FIND PEOPLE YOU CAN COMPLETELY TRUST YOUR PETS WITH. AS FOR MYSELF AND MY COLLEAGUES, WE ARE AN EXCEPTION BUT IT'S SCARY TO THINK YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOIN ON WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR PET IN ANOTHER PERSONS CARE.

I tried to set up an account but it kept telling me my email was already in use which is impossible so I guess I have to go Anonymously, lmao. Anyway, I was hoping to ask you since you are/were an employee a couple questions.

I was hoping to actually apply to a PetsHotel in Scottsdale, AZ where I live for the night shift. I am actually an employee who DOES/WOULD love the animals in my care. I was actually wondering if there is a way to "cheat" and spend time with animals (even if the customer didn't specifically pay for it)...Are there cameras in back where I might get "busted" by management were I to go in and pet a crying cat or dog, etc. That would be the main thing I am getting at.

Can they "bust" you for cleaning out a cage even if technically you are not supposed to? Would love any feedback you can give...I am going to copy/paste this to all people on here who are employees. Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom:) My name is Anna.

My email is ann_h@hotmail.com. Just in case you'd rather say privately or can at all.

Edgewood, Maryland, United States #906998

I'm not sure what petsmart you go to but as am employee at petsmart I have to say that we do the best we can (at least at my store). You aren't keeping your dog at home yourself so no one is going to take care of your dog like you do.

If we have 100s of animals in our facility how could you expect us to keep an eye on all of them at once? Now it is petsmart, so yes you will have some workers who may not really care about what they're doing (that's with any retail store) but most of us are there because we love animals and we love interacting with them! Yes, I agree the rooms could be bigger, and I wouldn't mind walking dogs outside, but there's no fenced area and usually petsmarts are in busy places so if something happens and they get loose or hurt, then that'd a liability. Feeding can get confusing when you have so many mouths to feed, and you also have to understand to stay on a schedule we have to do it in a timely fashion.

Or things that need to get done to keep all customers Satisfied doesn't happen. I love working at petsmart, but it can be stressful! But that never takes away from that fact that we do our best to keep your pets safe and happy. As for doggie day camp, some dogs do act out in camp.

The spray bottle is to just try and avert the dogs attention, to stop any bothersome behavior. But most dogs are very persistent and when they hump, stalk, bark at, and try to play it is very hard to get them to stop. Also just like people, not every dog likes every other dog, they take to some more than others. With such a large group of dogs and one person to try and control them it gets hectic, but these behaviors would occur even if there were more than one person at a tome in camp.

I have never worked a night shift so I cannot vouch for them. I saw a comment about the ice cream treats in the summer, that ice cream is made specifically for dogs to be able to digest, and does them no harm.

Medicine should not be handled by anyone unless they are a manager or a senior, for safety reasons. As much as we would like to, we can't gove your dog everything you can give them at home, despite the name pethotel it is still a kennel, and we do everything to the best of our ability.

to Anonymous Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States #1267241

Then if you can't handle all the "hundrend" of dogs and puppies you have you should hire more then one person to be in a room. The one room exposed to public vision, maybe 15 dogs just walking around with one staff member totally ignoring the dogs.

One dog pees or poops on the floor, the staff member goes to the bucket in the same room mood up the business and the rest of the dogs walk through the spot and wet paw prints on the floor where after the other dogs sit on that same spot and poor things come home biting there butts probably because they are sore irritated and itchy. After just two day our puppy stunk like a dog factory, was hungry and thirsty beyond belief. Probably no water for 8 hrs so they wont pee as much.

You can't believe the reports written out especially when you oberserve the open room and watch the dogs and puppies AND the staff member that loved animals or the ones who could care less!

to Anonymous #1442290

You can spew all the I love working at pet smart but u just admitted to negligence. You have 100s of dogs and why would the customer expect such service?

Are you friggin for real?

Pet smart just lost two dogs in Houston and one was killed. I would suggest to anyone DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT PETSMART

to Anonymous #1464382

I’m thinking about working in the pet hotel in pets mart in Houston I’m glad I’m hearing this I don’t want to work there if they do that to the animals I’m a dog walker tenshi29@hotmailcom I will love your dogs I live in Houston

to Anonymous #1538358

No one knows what it’s like to work with 100’s of dogs until they do it so don’t judge and pretend like you all know what you would or think things should be done differently-I know my staff loves each and every dog that stays with us and if they don’t—they aren’t going to be working for PetSmart very long—if we have more than 65 dogs we have 2 overnights and we can clean their messes and do! Not all day camps are playful all the time and when people stand in front of the window to stress them out more and tap on the window to make things worse the associate handles it very well—my associates interact with the pets and play with them and we are obviously doing a good job and people trust us or we wouldn’t still be in business—so to those who have received bad service I’m very sorry but my PetsHotel is amazing and if I trust the staff to take care of my dog that is my baby—that says a lot and I do! If anyone is ever in kcmo please come and see us!

Delray Beach, Florida, United States #896465

Agreed, Petsmart is terrible. I boarded my dogs there last year for three days.

When I picked them up they were covered in pee and terrified.

I do not trust the workers at all, they were cold and unfriendly. When I contacted corporate about my dogs being covered in pee they could careless.

to Anonymous Delray Beach, Florida, United States #963067

I work at this hotel and know exactly who posted this. This customer came in and used our facility because she believed "someone was coming into her home while she was at work....beating her dogs and then putting them back in the cage before she got back" just to give you some insight on who are writing these reviews.

these dogs are not potty trained what so ever and were given MULTIPLE extra walks because all of us felt bad for the pups. We ALL care deeply about these pets as we have our own and know we would want the same care. I can't speak for other hotels however I can for this one.

All I can say is come and see for yourself. We love what we do and despite working with customers like this...it is a great job.

to Delray Petshotel employee #1464383

Is this in Houston

to Anonymous #1538362

Your PetSmart is terrible not everyone has the same people at their hotel-every where is different and each associate at each PetSmart location is different sorry you had bad experience but not everyone does

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #877256

All of the above is true. My question is what's the problem?

I've tried a few other similar companies and prefer my local PetSmart hotel to all the others including any of the veterinarians who board. What company offers one on one out door walking, supervised treat feeding, immediate cage cleaning 24/7? And what would they charge for it? Yikes!

At my PetSmart the standard kennels are plenty large enough for my 90 pound pampered pooch. The Doggy day care is meant to be for dog on dog interaction... not person dog interaction, although there is an option you can purchase for that too. My dog is a humper and he has been removed from play time many times for his ill behavior.

I like that the building is a large commercial fire sprinklered building in case of a fire whereas most of the smaller businesses including the vets are not sprinklered. I'm ok with my dog not having a chew bone or vitamins for a couple of days for the sake of safety. My dog has never ran out of food, I've always received a bath when requested, veterinary care was extended when one time he fell ill. Of course, I think we all want our pets to be cared for like we do for them at home but the reality is that these businesses would have to operate far differently and the costs would be so high that many of us couldn't afford them.

I left PetSmart in search of a better place but wound up coming back. I don't like leaving my dog at all, because nobody will ever be good enough and when I can I drive him 200 miles to stay with his grandma, but when I can't I use PetSmart and am satisfied.

to Nunya #1464384

Im a Petsitter in Houston if u need any help tenshi29@hotmail.com

Rochester, New York, United States #846832

I would definitely tell any loving pet owner to find an

alternative to the PetSmart pet hotel. I seriously doubted the employees cared about my dog and the fees were not honestly discussed with us even though we tried to ask relevant questions ahead of time. I have observed the play time rooms and agree with the comments from the previous reviewer.

Wow this scares me..I was going to take my 3 mos old baby(mini Chihuahua) but iam not now iam very picky with her..On to plan B

Norwalk, California, United States #824070

I had a wonderful experience at the Petsmart at Cerritos town center. Both of our dogs were there for 3 days.

We did pay for doggy day camp and when i came to pick them up the worker was in there blowing bubbles for the dogs. I guess it depends on which one you go to.

Thanks for the info. on PetSmart.

I just made an appointment for my pet to stay for 10 days while I am away. I am going to cancel and pay a family member to help.

issy2014
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #813600

We also had a terrible experience at the Albuquerque Pet Smart Pet Hotel just this week. Our 16 year old cat has a liver condition and needs his meds twice daily.

He cannot tolerate pills any longer so his medicine is compounded into a cream. WIth a gloved hand you extract .1ml of one medicine for the right ear and the same amount of another med for the left ear. It is massaged in. He accepts this treatment with pleasure and a treat!

We boarded him and his roomy for four days….

First, they overcharged us for delivery of meds; we caught this in the store….then, upon de-crateing him at home we noticed a large hairless semi-circle around his left eye.

This is caused by just lumping the cream in his ear, it annoys him and he massages his ear and wipes it on his eye area. They should have known better. We explained it also.

THEN, I compared the amount of cream left in the syringe to what we originally gave them…..6 was used in each syringe but .8 should have been administered. I called to complain and the manager checked her records and adamantly insisted that all was done correctly because their records don't lie.

BUT HER STAFF LIES because I have the physical evidence….the cream was NOT ADMINISTERED …IT'S STILL IN THE SYRINGE!!!

Katie, the Manager, didn't even apologize and insisted her people were honest.

WHAT? We had to board our cats for four days because we wanted him to have his meds…DON'T Go to ALBUQUERQUE Pet Smart Pet Hotel they are immature, un professional, not trustworthy and they LIE!!!!