3.3K views

I have a Border Collie, "Mikey"... who i take to Petsmart Grooming on occasion... When dropping him off i specifically told them not to blow dry him, because he gets stressed out... I told them i would pick him up wet.

They said ok no problem i will tell his Groomer "Holly".... i left thinking he was in safe hands as always... When i came to pick him up, sure enough his eyes were bloodshot red, i told her i asked for no blowdrying, she said well Holly was gentle on him, I was very dissapointed that she would do something I asked her not to do, I paid the $54.99 and left Petsmart, not even a few days later i notice a flea on my dog!

I am very clean, My dog Mikey is an inside dog who recieves his monthly heartguard and flea and tick prevention. In addition we treat our yard regularly to prevent fleas and ticks as well. In the 6 1/2 years of owning dogs, I have not had one flea or tick... I just noticed he had a flea on him an hour ago, which now means my dog is going to be flea ridden....I am so upset with Petsmart Grooming....They are very strict about your dog having all shots up to date prior to your grooming appt, but any dog with fleas, ticks who knows what else ringworm can enter.... I will never take my dog here again:(

Product or Service Mentioned: Petsmart Grooming Service.

Comments

I DO NOT LIKE HOW THEY PUT THEIR ANIMALS IN SOMETHING THAT HOLDS THEIR LITTLE NECKS UP IN THE AIR, NOT LETTING THEM MOVE AT ALL. BUT TO ME IT LOOKS TO ME AS IF THEY ARE BEING CHOKED.

AND MAINLY IF THEY TRY TO EVEN MOVE. WAS IN A PETCARE, AND OBSERVED A LITTLE POODLE, THAT LOOKED AS THOUGH IT WAS VERY UNCOMFORABLE TO EVEN MOVE. NOT ANYWAY TO GROOM ANYONES ANIMALS.

THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU GO THERE. TRUST ME, I WOULD NOT LIE TO ANYONE.

to Anonymous #1105912

literally every single grooming salon and groomer uses a grooming loop -______- it's so your dog doesn't jump off the table and die -_- maybe educate yourself before spewing slanderous ***

Piedmont, Oklahoma, United States #996728

My dog cam home with fleas from the PetSmart Grooming Center a few days ago, she has never had a flea in her whole life she is also an indoors dog. We could tell they for sure came from PetSmart. We will be calling PetSmart to let them know!

to Anonymous #1105917

lolol "we could tell they for sure came from petsmart" XD and how is that? were they wearing tiny blue petsmart shirts?!

XD hilarious! my indoor cats have gotten fleas before too -_- its because I FAILED THEM by not putting preventative on them.

just like you.

to its a *** epidemic #1531741

Little blue Petsmart shirts-lol!! Good one

Saratoga Springs, New York, United States #921141

My dog came home w fleas and blood shot red eys. His cut was all uneven then charged me $10 more then I had ever paid before.

to Anonymous Saratoga Springs, New York, United States #921144

I would like to add that I know for a fact he came home with them and went in with no fleas. As an advid owner u no if they hv fleas if there checked daily and carried into the store.

You are ridiculous. Your dog could have picked up a flea from anywhere.

Parks, sidewalks..even off of yourself if you came in contact with a dog with fleas.

Not to mention that long after, if he did get "infected" with fleas from Petsmart, there would be more than just one. You are so incredibly *** it causes me actual physical pain.

Richmond, Texas, United States #868576

I too worked for Petsmart for over 15 years and you can have your bills pd anywhere if your a good stylist!! Petsmart does hide and cover up allot of incidents. I would get in trouble or told not to report some things due to my store managers bonus being based off incidents!

Clifton, New Jersey, United States #684764

Just because you treat your yard and dog for fleas and ticks does not mean other people do! You brought you dog outside your 'bubble of protection.' He could've got it from another mutt with fleas. Stop blaming Petsmart!

The only thing I can agree with you is that the groomer should've heeded your instructions. With that said, grooming in general is pretty stressful on the pet. People don't realize this. We cannot explain to the animal what is happening to him/her. All the strange noises, smells and being in a strangers hands. All they understand is "Mom and dad left me here. I need to get away!"

Maybe mobile grooming is the answer. Because the pet will be in your 'sight' and no more naughty fleas. Then, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

San Antonio, Texas, United States #677603

As a petsmart employee I must defend the company, not because they pay my bills but because whatever petsmart does I'd probably for a reason. We dot do thing unless we have a reason to do them.

If we send home your dog it's because they were stressing out and it's for their safety, if we didn't trim the nails it's because they didn't let us, if we shaved your dog completely it's must have been heavily matted. We can't keep a stressing out dog for their safety, we can't trim nails if they don't let us do it, petsmart let's their pet stylists and bathers know that of they don't feel safe doing the dog they have the right to say no, so you as a pet parent should not get mad when groomer says no to doing something.

Would you like to risk body parts just to make one person happy when there's loads of other people with better pets that deserve the attention rather than you're pet trying to hurt the groomer. And as for shaving your ones faces they might be matted as ***, the groomer goes over everything that they will be doing to your pet listen and shut up.

to Lori Newark, New Jersey, United States #710782

Did they have a reason to be blatantly gabbing away yesterday while my two 14 week old pups were getting their nails trimmed FOR THE FIRST TIME, and she hung the first off the table because she wasn't paying attention and then just stood there!!!! He hung for 30 seconds!!!!!!!!!!

And then he bit her when she tried to pick him up, well ya!!!! Id *** you too if you just hung me by my neck because of carelessness!

to Anonymous #1105921

a 14 week old puppy would be dead if it hung off the table for 30 seconds -_- i'm sure you've learned over the past 2 years why biting the groomer is not ok (do i really have to explain this?). bet the $200 you have to pay to have your matted land shark shaved at the vet was totes worth not training him -_- oy.

Oswego, New York, United States #677369

Taking my 12 1/2 year old chocolate lab to the vet for a 2nd time since grooming at petsmart 3 days ago! First time a laceratated cornea from the groomers finger nail!

Now, he for the first time ever in his whole long life... He has a hot spot the size of a lunch plate!!! The odor is awful and he is in so much pain!!! He may never recover from the wound in he eye:-(.

Although it is looking a little better. This is just too much for an old dog to have to go through! Pet smart in Liverpool ny should be ashamed, their cleaning practice must be sub-standard... Twelve years and never a hot spot...

Till now. :-(

Chula Vista, California, United States #586060

I just took my maltipoo in for grooming at Petsmart and she now has ticks! This is the SECOND time this happens.

I live walking distance from the salon and I carried her all the way, she didn't walk through anything, we keep her indoors 100% of the time, etc. Like I said this is not the first time it happens. They obviously don't clean their grooming surfaces and as soon as one dog is taken off another takes its place (and its ticks/fleas).

I am going to expect a full refund AND they better treat her ticks for FREE or there will be *** to pay! They only want your money there, they are always full of excuses, and I wouldn't be surprised if this woman gave her ticks on purpose just because I declined her aggressive sales tactics (she wanted to give her a preventative tick bath even though my dog had no ticks and it's the middle of winter).

to PoshPooch #684766

You sound paranoid. Groomer giving your dog ticks on purpose...not letting your dog outside OR walk around...Maybe you should've gotten a stuffed animal.

to PoshPooch #1105928

lolol there is no such thing as a preventative tick bath XD XDDDD only a natural flea shampoo. it is not a preventative, all it does is kills any live fleas on them.

after all the fleas are dead the dogs are bathed in oatmeal to soothe their skin. it is policy that any dogs found with fleas on them MUST be bathed in this immediately. if anybody declines they are immediately sent home. but this is all signed off on by every owner previous to services being started.

they do offer single doses of ACTUAL flea & tick preventative in the form of k9 advantix 2. if your dog was not current on preventative - as every dog should be as this is THE only 100% way to prevent getting fleas - the groomer probably tried to get you to buy at least the single months dose that they offer.

and your dog could pick up a tick from literally anywhere. do you not leave your house ever?

is your house surrounded by an impenetrable force field? no, i'm sure not.

you didn't even care enough to spend $20 giving your precious posh poooochy poo the one thing that would actually protect her from the uber terrrrrrible terrifying fleas & ticks! :O

Your dog could've gotten fleas ANYWHERE. You shouldn't blame the groomer.

It is possible that they had fleas but still like I said they could come from anywhere.

I had a flea invasion in my house a while ago that were all over the carpets and my cats. It happens.

I understand your frustration about the blow drying. But the flea issue has nothing to do with the groomer if you found the flea days later and you're using preventative like you said.

Your dog is an inside dog? It NEVER goes outside? That's absolutely terrible. How dare you keep a dog and never give it the joy of experiencing the outdoors.

And you never take it on walks? People like you should NEVER be allowed to keep a dog as a pet. If at this point you would like to rephrase your statement about your dog being "an inside dog" and that it's allowed to go outside, then that's your friggin answer about how your dog got the flea. Regardless of if you think you're "clean" and even if you treat your yard, fleas are EVERYWHERE.

They're on birds, squirrels, wildlife, outdoor cats. You can pick up a flea ANYWHERE including the grocery store or movie theatre.

Think before you go off about something next time. It's not necessary to exaggerate.

Get over it. Your dog could have picked up a flea any where.

Doesn't matter if you treat your yard or not and obviously your not using flea preventions. If you were using a good one that flea would have died as soon as it bit your dog. Secondly how do you expect them to do a groom and not dry your dog? Its impossible.

There is no point. Might as well just do it yourself at home then.