2.2K views

I have a general rule about buying fish at PetSmart. Never do it. Three times now, I have bought fish from two different PetSmarts in two states (West Virginia and Iowa) and all three times the new fish brought ick into my tank and killed the fish. This most recent time, my boyfriend bought 4 fancy goldfish (approx. $30) from PetSmart in Davenport, IA and gave them to me as a gift. Within a week, one of them showed symptoms of ick. I treated them all but the sick one did not improve. He died and I put him back in the original bag from the store and took him to try and get my boyfriend's money back.

Their "no hassle" return policy must be called that because it is no hassle for the store to refuse returns without a receipt...but they don't offer gift receipts. So if you receive something from PetSmart as a gift, you are stuck with it until it dies. I should add here that though I did not have a receipt, I did have the original bag in which the fish were packaged that had the date, SKU and price for each fish on it. [To add insult to injury, the cashier who informed me of the need for a receipt showed absolutely no sign of sympathy for the fact that I had lost a pet. In fact, her insistence on seeing a receipt was so aggressive, I left the store feeling more upset than when I arrived.]

Now, almost five weeks from the original purchase date, I am still treating the tank for ick because every time I change any of the water, it returns. It claimed another goldfish this morning, and the other two are symptomatic. The original fish in the tank, a bristlenose pleckostomus, is nocturnal so I haven't been able to check and see if he is symptomatic.

Review about: Petsmart Cashier.

Had an Experience with Petsmart?

Comments

UGGGHH...I wish I had read this before buying six neon tetras from Petsmart last week.I had a litter of beautiful guppies for about a year in two 36 gallon clean established tanks (one with males and the other with females).

There were only twelve males so my husband kept asking if we could add different fish. I had to stop at Petsmart for water conditioner so I picked up a school of tetras while I was there.

First of all, the woman who took the fish out of the tank KILLED one in the process by squishing it against the tank with the net. Then she dropped on on the floor! I was disgusted by the time I left.

Within a week ALL of my guppies (which were perfectly healthy prior to adding the new fish) were dead and covered with white fungus. I find it very difficult to believe that this is a coincidence. My water was perfect and I keep my tanks clean. I've NEVER had a massive die-off in all the years I've been keeping and breeding my fish.

I'm so angry and sad. I went into the store where I bought the fish and the teenage girl working in the fish department (the woman who sold me the fish was working the cash register that night) could not care less when I told her what happened. She just said they've had no problems in the store with any disease.

Before I left I looked at the tetra tank: There were two sick looking fish moping around the once-full tank.SMH

to Anonymous #1362813

Omg I'm glad I read this.I had a beautiful female betta for 2 years and I recently bought her a 10 gallon tank and a 6 neon tetras because I read they can be kept with bettas.

Anywho, once I acclimated the tetras and introduced then to my tank I thought everything was fine. The next day 1 of the tetras was dead and my betta started to form some weird white fungus on her lip. I bought a bacteria treatment at petsmart to treat what I thought was cotton mouth. I quarantined my betta and the tetras fish separately to treat them.

Next day (today) my betta is dead :( the white fungus stuff covered her entire mouth and gills.I'm devasted.

I've been dealing with camalanus worms.A gift from Petsmart after I just put down all my fish.

Bleached my tank and everything. Then tonight I found out my new veiltail angel, that I'd had for about two months, has about six camalanus worms! JEEZ. Never buying from them again.

It's not like I can "tell" at the store if their fish have the worms.

It has a month long cycle and they usually only come out at night.I am SO mad right now!

Aberdeen, Maryland, United States #935608

I am having the same issue.I had 4 cherry barbs and an albino Chinese algae eater in my 20 gallon tank prior to adding the 4 platys, and they did great.

It has been about a week since I have added the 4 platys, and now I have a MASSIVE outbreak in ich... I am so tired of Petsmart, but because of Petsmart. All of the local fish stores have left town.

The closest one to me is about 1.5 hours away in Lancaster, PA..UGH..

El Paso, Texas, United States #884804

I had an established tank months ago and brought in two petsmart fish and very fish in my tank died in a week.I reset up my tank got two fish and they did great.

Got three platy fish from petsmart and within two days had ick again.I'm about done with keeping fish at this rate.

You have to bleach your tank that is the only way to get rid of ick

#861983

Yep dealing with the same problem now --- have had the same 4 fish in my tank for over a year - decided to buy 4 new little guys and now 2/4 of my old fish have ICK --- and of course pet smart wants a water sample and duh it's gonna say it's ICK - no kidding it's from your fish !!!!!!!!!!

Kenosha, Wisconsin, United States #789505

Same here, after quarantine even, all fish are dead or dying as I type this...not happy AT ALL! :(

You are too stup!d to follow your own rule. Therefore, it's your fault. STFU already, whiner.

The problem is they can't quaranteen their fish properly due to the volume they do and the fact their tanks water systems are all tied together.....Ich is always present in their system.