Petsmart has me totally outraged about the way they care for (or fail to care for) their fish, especially the Betta fish.I recently bought one sick Betta and tried to save it, which cost me a lot of money and I ended up having to redeem my "14 day guarantee" on a new fish.

I ended up with a male and female which are both happy and healthy. However, when I went in to buy some food etc for them, I check out the Betta fish display.... These fish were stacked on top of one another so they could not breath from the whole on top of their pathetic little jars. The cups they keep them in are bad enough as it is, there is no need to further suffocate the fish...

Also, many of the cups had about and inch of water in them- barely enough to submerge the fish. I spent about five minutes rearranging the cups so the fish could at least breath. It is just so hard for me to fathom buying any of my pet supplies (I have a bird and two cats as well), from petsmart when they are clearly neglecting their animals- even the ones that require such minimal care and upkeep.

I hate to write bad reviews to discourage people from buying fish from there- only because these animals need to be rescued from these conditions and go to good homes.They are great little creatures and easy to care for- there is NO EXCUSE for the negligence of this massive corporation, nor their inability to provide humane conditions for their "MERCHANDISE" AKA LIVING CREATURES!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 17 Yes 17 6 No 6
Had the same issue 5 Yes 5
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 18, 2015 #996717 Merritt Island, Florida

do not buy beta fish for children or adults as pets.
betas are not warm water fish if the air temp is above 88 the
fish live on the bottom of the tank and the fins infect from the
food settled on the bottom then they get fungus bloat and bacteria.
the female betas die in about a day from bloat. there is very
little chance in warm water that u can detect bloat and treat it before its to late for females. its very heart breaking to buy a beta female or male in the winter and warm weather kills it in the summer. the beautiful fins turn to rotten bloody stumps. pet shops say these are rugged pets *huge lie, but they hope u fall into buying betas cause they are very beautiful.

0 10 Reply

Dec 20, 2015 #1081426

Keeping proper temperatures and preventing and treating bloat, fin rot and other ailments isn't exactly rocket science. I and many other betta keepers (yes, even beginners who bother to educate themselves) in this wonderful hobby have kept fish happy and healthy beyond their "expected" lifespans by practicing proper care and husbandry. I partly agree with you on the "rugged" part though many pet shops tend to give bad fish advice in general. You sound like a child and/or an ignorant PETA doof talking out of your rear.

4 1 Reply
No One Gives a Shit

Feb 03, 2015 #940429 Fishkill, New York

You bought a sick fish.
You don't gave cancer. No tornado blew down your house. Your family is not starving.
You bought a sick fish.
ShutTheFuckUp, you WhinyBugfucker.

6 16 Reply

Nov 26, 2014 #906385

Of course Petsmart knows this is wrong. I work there. But guess what. WE DON'T CONTROL THAT. Anytime a customer comes in to buy a betta we always recommend at least 2.5 gallons and a heater/filter. Do idiots listen to us? No. They say "actually bettas prefer small cups". If you go to any store (petsmart, Jack's, petco, Wal-Mart) this is how the fish are kept. It's not just petsmart. And the stacking sounds like that stores issue. We always make sure not to stack so they can receive oxygen. Of there was only an inch of water and it was dirty you should report it to the pet care manager. If our betta bowls are dirty we get our butts handed to us.

18 2 Reply

May 23, 2014 #818854 Tupelo, Mississippi

MY PetSmart store is the opposite of this. Yes, the Bettas are in the regular cups, but they ARENT stacked. They are spread out among three whole shelves, none are covered up. They are placed where there is plenty of light, and the whole store is kept at a warm, comfortable temperature for all the animals. Granted, there isn't much water in the cups, but there is plenty for the fish to move around and the water is always very clean and clear. ALL fish always seem healthy. This sounds like an issue with one particular store.

10 1 Reply

Feb 03, 2015 #940424

No. Its with Michigan to.

0 3 Reply

Nov 15, 2013 #742806

I bought a betta and when I took it home, I noticed it had FIN ROT :( This outraged me as I had spent a lot of money getting all the equipment :upset AND when I went to get medicine for him, I noticed that the water in the tanks was extremely cloudy and there was not enough of it. :roll. Also, betta fish don't live in puddles they live in rice paddies it is just a myth that they live in puddles. :?

2 7 Reply

Dec 20, 2015 #1081422

Aquarium salt, water changes and most importantly, keeping their environment clean. Curing fin rot isn't rocket science.

1 0 Reply

Sep 26, 2013 #721888

amazing how how people take a completely false statement like bettas can live in small cups and believe it, despite not having any actual knowledge of fishkeeping or fish behavior, or biology for that matter!

12 0 Reply

Jan 22, 2013 #597157

They shouldn't have been stacked and they do good in low oxygen small habitat. They love warm water as well so heaters is a must. And also bettas can put with other fish. Only white clouds, African dwarf frogs, snails, Cory catfish, kuhli loach, and ghost shrimp. But don't think all petsmarts r like this

Jun 13, 2014 #826951 Saint Marys, Georgia

betta fish can actually get along with a lot of fish, generally speaking. it's not limited to those animals.

6 0 Reply

Aug 10, 2012 #526777

Wow, its funny that you say people should do research, but are spewing a bunch of bull. Bettas do not live in puddles, that is a common myth. They live in rice paddies, that ,while shallow, contain hundreds of gallons of water. But nice try.

6 3 Reply

Jul 12, 2012 #511540

The way Petsmart houses the betas is not wrong. Do you even know anything about the fish? In the wild the beta fish live in tiny puddles so they are perfectly fine in their cups. I swear people need to do research before *** about something they know nothing about!

1 16 Reply

Jun 13, 2014 #826953 Saint Marys, Georgia

bettas need AT LEAST 2.5 rectangular gallon tanks to live comfortably and healthy. How would you like to be kept in a cage that's barely taller than you?

10 0 Reply

Jun 13, 2014 #827163

You are the one who knows nothing. What is the point of your comment?

8 1 Reply

Dec 15, 2014 #915947

Actually betta fish live in rice paddies before theyre in the store, so you do your reasearch!

1 3 Reply

Nov 07, 2015 #1060102

No, the ones in the stores are bought from betta farms mostly located in SE Asia. Wild bettas lack the color and fins sported by their domesticated cousins for which they have been bred for decades to achieve.
Perhaps YOU should do a little more research of your own.

Nov 07, 2015 #1060103

(Granted, that still doesn't mean they will happily thrive in little bowls or cups)

2 0
betta lover

Apr 05, 2015 #968037

How can you say that, betta live in rice patties I don't know where you were researching but they are wrong, betta love big tanks, for example I bought a betta that looked absolutely terrible(it didn't swim around it was really dul), I then put it in my 8 litre tank and it burst to life

Fishy Guy

Apr 20, 2012 #469061

I'm very fishy.

3 2 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Petsmart. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Petsmart.
Filing a new complaint about