Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo
2.3K views 25 comments

I visited the PetSmart store in Whitby, Ontario, Canada on the weekend of February 26, 2011 to purchase packets of Whiskas tender bites food for my newly adopted cat.So this was my first visit to the store.

As I was searching in the cat food isle, I received a test message on my phone that I was expecting from a friend. I immediately removed my phone from my coat pocket and responded and put the phone back into my pocket. I then see a man quickly approach me from the other end of the isle, at which point he violently shoves me up against the isle, refusing to let me go. A female customer in the store came to my aid after hearing me shouting and screaming and told the man to get his hands off me.

I then realize that it was the stores general manager Don who just assaulted me, and he was accusing me of stealing and asked me to empty my pockets. I asked the the female customer to call the police and refused to empty my pockets until they arrived. Two police officers arrived approximately five minutes late as we all waited in the isle. This immediately caused a spectacle in the store, as dozens of customers and employees watched as the police questioned us.

The police asked me to remove everything in my pockets, only to find my cell phone and car keys. I did not steal anything! A police report was filed, however no charged were laid because I decided I would like to address the issue with a civil action(I am currently planning a lawsuit with my lawyer).

I was never given an apology by Don, I only received an email from PetSmart head office with an apology which seemed like an automated message after complaining to them after the incident.I will never visit this store again as this was the most appalling and embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me!

Review about: Cat Food.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Petsmart?

Submit review

Comments

ASS-AULT
Maybe if you stuff something in your pocket at a store and the manager thinks your stealing you should just show him that your not. YOU made the spectacle and wasted the time of law enforcement.
Former PetSmart Employee
@Actual Witness your version of these events are completely inaccurate. I worked at PetSmart Whitby and I was there the day this took place. This woman (Darlene) did not steal anything. She was not even wearing a coat, so how could she have concealed an entire bag full of merchandise? Keep in mind this happened in late February. Also, Don did not try and and stop the woman from leaving the store, she was still shopping when he attacked her. She actually had a PetSmart basket on the floor, tossing packs of Whiskas food into it. She was planning on buying these items! That story about Darlene being booked by police is a complete lie. In fact, Don was nearly arrested. The only pictures the police took were of her bruised arms, which can be found in the official police report if you care to look it up. Stop standing up for this despicable and vile piece of shît Don Lee! I quit PetSmart because of him. I was scared to go to work after seeing what he did to another young lady. He also abused animals in the store! Please tell me why he was subsequently fired from PetSmart after the incident if he didn't assault a customer?
Actual Witness
Actually, this story is entirely false and you're all ridiculously gullible for believing this story from the get go.

Firstly, Darlene Anne, you are as big a liar as you are a despicable thief. You were caught with a coat full of PetSmart merchandise which dropped from your coat like an over-weighted grocery bag when Don stopped you from leaving the store. It was then and only then that you decided to embarrass yourself with a tantrum and a hissy fit which drew the attention of myself along with the other witnesses.

The police were called and they did show up... to photograph the would-be stolen merchandise and book your sorry ***.

I'm guessing you batted those eyes nicely and got a slap on the wrist, seeign as you're here trying to get back at the guy who CAUGHT you. Even if you DID get a bruise from when Don stopped you from walking out the door... which I highly doubt you did... probably inflicted it upon yourself later... it's a lot less then someone like you deserves.

I highly doubt anyone will be sued, or any court dates will be issued.

This whole topic, as well as this Lady herself, is a *** joke.
Assault and Battery
Um, this is a crime and that manager can get jail time for it (at least in America, but Canada is very wierd so...)
Mark F
SHE WAS ASSULTED AND BRUISES TO PROVE IT BY SOME GUNG HO *** A$$ STORE MGR TRYING TO BE A SECURITY GUARD WANNA BE. HE WAS IN THE WRONG WITH OUT PROOF OF THE THEFT TO SHOVE HER. HE SHOULD HAVE JUST CALLED POLICE AND STOPPED HER FROM LEAVING WITHOUT PHYSICAL ALTERCATION. YOU CAN'T JUST PUT YOUR HANDS ON PEOPLE LIKE THAT. I'D SUE TOO, I HOPE SHE WINS.
Sydney
You go Glen Coco lol! I agree with you. She should have had him arrested. Personally I would have kicked his *** right in the store if he put his hands on me!
Glen Coco
@what ever, you are an ***. How the *** is this a waste of time? Since when is it appropriate for a professional store manager to assault a customer, even if they were stealing. Did you see the photo of her arm, if it wasn't serious, they why were the police called, and why was a report filed! I am a paralegal and I'm very familiar with Canada's law system. This lady has every right to sue not only him, but probably PetSmart as well, and any judge; I'm %100 sure will grant her whatever she decides to sue for; which I hope is a lot!
what ever
I only read up to the "I will address this in civil court and lawyer and blah blah blah".

The whole story sounded "fishy" to me from the get go but soon as person said they sueing, the REAL agenda became clear as day!

Lets assume this is even 50% true, you got pushed, BIG DEAL!

Get over it and move on with your life!

You must be from the USA if you think this is even remotely actionable!

Hope the judge (whose time your clearly wasting with this all) makes you pay for everyones court fees for wasting peoples time with this ***!
OnlyInRetain
@HA that site only lists police reports filed within in the last 30 days, she said this happened on February 26!
OnlyInRetail
Anonymous, you must have missed the part where the story said a police report filed, and there were several dozen witnesses. If this matter reaches court, this lady will have more than enough proof to show that nothing she posted was inaccurate. There is only one victim here, so I don't understand who or what you are trying to defend.