Petsmart - 6-lb dog needs 8 stitches b/c of incompetent groomer
I dropped my 8-yr-old 6-lb Maltese to get groomed. I am new to the area and this was our first time using the PetSmart groomers. I had a bad feeling about the place because one of the groomers had 1-1/2 long blue fingernails, which I thought was odd and dangerous for a groomer handling scissors, clippers, and sharp instruments near animals. The same groomer was also trying to answer the phone, deal with customers dropping off their animals and groom a very hyper puppy at the same time.
90 minutes after I left my pet, I got a call from that same groomer stating, "Your dog was jumping around a lot and she got sliced. She's at the emergency vet right now getting stitches. " Um...what?!?!?
My dog had to have 8 stitches! 8! Her leg is barely long enough for 8 stitches. She was sliced on the inside of her leg, had several scrapes along her belly and another cut on her ribcage. No wonder she was jumping around! This groomer was hurting her over and over!
Though PetSmart paid for her vet bills, they've been terrible at handling the situation. The manager told me that the groomer was in her first week of employment and had just graduated from grooming school and she was new so accidents are bound to happen. He said that by policy since she was new, she wasn't allowed to groom more than four dogs in an 8 hour period, though apparently it's ok for her to groom a dog, and answer phones, and take incoming customers. The manager did offer to have another (and he really said this...) "competent groomer" finish the grooming for both my dogs, which I declined. (Fortunately I was able to rescue my other dog before they got him, too.)
He said that they are doing "some coaching" with the groomer and until she does it a few more times that she'll continue employment with them. I called their corporate office the day of the incident and was told that "someone would get back to me in 3-5 business days." No one ever called. I followed up with the store manager and with corporate...still a week later, no one called. When my dog went in to have her stitches removed, I followed up the store manager letting him know after two weeks that I still hadn't heard from corporate. 7 hours later, someone from corporate finally called asking me what they could do for me. They had no intentions of firing the groomer and insisted that they are "working closely with her" and feel that "in this economy" it's not wise just to fire people. Um...what?!?!?
So, it seems that PetSmart is ok with injuries to their customers. And not just little injuries. Not just a little scrape - but 8 stitches, scrapes, and a cut.... on the same dog! So, the only way to keep your pet safe is to keep them away from PetSmart groomers as they are knowingly allowing incompetent groomers to handle our pets.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Grooming Services
- Review category
- Animal Services
PissedConsumer.com is operating in read-only mode, users cannot make any changes to the information, publish comments or reviews.
You May Also Like
- "I have taken my dog to get groomed here a number of times and this last time was the LAST time. Not only have they cut my dog they cut..."
- "I visited the PetSmart store in Whitby, Ontario, Canada on the weekend of February 26, 2011 to purchase packets of Whiskas tender bites food for my newly adopted cat. So..."
- "Petsmart has me totally outraged about the way they care for (or fail to care for) their fish, especially the Betta fish. I recently bought one sick Betta and tried..."
- "I have been lied to ripped off and threatened by Capital One Auto Finance then my Car got wrecked. This is AFTER I gave them $33,000.00!! I purchased..."
- "These are supposed to be two Mexican pizzas. We went to the Taco Bell drive through at 43rd ave. and Bell rd. in Phoenix, AZ. August 24th..."
- "Ordered a pair of expensive shoes, came at the time it said it would, in good condition (or so it seemed). Opened them up they look good, not 91$ good,..."
- "I purchased a Kenmore gas range from Sears.com.Bought it on Black Friday 11-24-16. First, pay someone to pick it up for me in the store because I don't own a..."
- "IHole in One International had such bad reviews BBB Bad reviews many of them I considered doing work with hole in one international and looked into their background and i..."
- "Terrible customer service I ordered 2 Canvas couple of days ago as soon as did my purchase I noticed my canvas were black & white and I sent you guys..."