I dropped my 8-yr-old 6-lb Maltese to get groomed. I am new to the area and this was our first time using the PetSmart groomers. I had a bad feeling about the place because one of the groomers had 1-1/2 long blue fingernails, which I thought was odd and dangerous for a groomer handling scissors, clippers, and sharp instruments near animals. The same groomer was also trying to answer the phone, deal with customers dropping off their animals and groom a very hyper puppy at the same time.
90 minutes after I left my pet, I got a call from that same groomer stating, "Your dog was jumping around a lot and she got sliced. She's at the emergency vet right now getting stitches. " Um...what?!?!?
My dog had to have 8 stitches! 8! Her leg is barely long enough for 8 stitches. She was sliced on the inside of her leg, had several scrapes along her belly and another cut on her ribcage. No wonder she was jumping around! This groomer was hurting her over and over!
Though PetSmart paid for her vet bills, they've been terrible at handling the situation. The manager told me that the groomer was in her first week of employment and had just graduated from grooming school and she was new so accidents are bound to happen. He said that by policy since she was new, she wasn't allowed to groom more than four dogs in an 8 hour period, though apparently it's ok for her to groom a dog, and answer phones, and take incoming customers. The manager did offer to have another (and he really said this...) "competent groomer" finish the grooming for both my dogs, which I declined. (Fortunately I was able to rescue my other dog before they got him, too.)
He said that they are doing "some coaching" with the groomer and until she does it a few more times that she'll continue employment with them. I called their corporate office the day of the incident and was told that "someone would get back to me in 3-5 business days." No one ever called. I followed up with the store manager and with corporate...still a week later, no one called. When my dog went in to have her stitches removed, I followed up the store manager letting him know after two weeks that I still hadn't heard from corporate. 7 hours later, someone from corporate finally called asking me what they could do for me. They had no intentions of firing the groomer and insisted that they are "working closely with her" and feel that "in this economy" it's not wise just to fire people. Um...what?!?!?
So, it seems that PetSmart is ok with injuries to their customers. And not just little injuries. Not just a little scrape - but 8 stitches, scrapes, and a cut.... on the same dog! So, the only way to keep your pet safe is to keep them away from PetSmart groomers as they are knowingly allowing incompetent groomers to handle our pets.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Grooming Services
- Review category
- Animal Services
You May Also Like
- "I took my 3 dogs and my friends 6 month puppy to be groomed at the Pets Smart in Clearwater, FL when I got home I noticed my Bichons foot..."
- "My pure bred Doberman Pinscher stayed at Petsmart Hotel in Tukwila WA from July 24 through July 31st. While paying the cost of his boarding, a staff mentioned that he..."
- "My daughter took her Siberian Husky to PetSmart in Springfield Illinois to be groomed (brushed) like she has for years. They called and said Nyomi wouldn't stand still for..."
- "These people are total *** bag losers! DO NOT BUY A CAR HERE! I am looking for anyone else that has had their contract changed or were tricked into thinking..."
- "I Found Express Moves, owned and operated by Robert Mayes, on Thumbtack. I told him I lived in and ran my on-line business out of a small shared 2-bedroom..."
- "bought my dress, it came looking nothing like i asked it was see through. I could see my butt crack and the bra cups it was cheap material and looked..."
- "It is taking several weeks just to receive my exchange order. The first time I called to do the exchange I was sent a confirmation by email; however, it did..."
- "At the Factory Again!! Just met with Customer Service manager..Brand New coach Diamond edition..Coach Bottoms Out Now have to go to Frieghtliner..can't fix it here..sit for Days waiting in line..."
- "I purchased a sofa in April of 2015. It is placed in a secondary living room that gets little to no use. I noticed in July of 2016..."