Bad fish

i have recently bought some fish from the petsmart on truxel and have had 3 fish die in two days from petsmart, in which i have fish in my tank that have been there for 3-5 years and they are fine. i didnt buy them from petsmart. i am very dissapointed in petsmart . the last time i went there to buy fish the employee was putting his hand in the tank to mess with the fish and catch frogs. therefor i will NOT be buying anymore fish from petsmart. the guy was also rude and told us that he didnt know anything about the fish and that nobody on shift did. they were very un knowledgeable , i have never been this dissatisfied with a store before. i used to spend several hundred dollars there a month on fish dogs and so on but will no longer be going to the petsmart on truxel and probably no petsmart period.

If you are an avid fish owner then you would know that the stress of transporting of fish and acclimating them to a new tank can be very stressful and unfortunately cause death itself. That is why PetSmart has their 14 day guarantee in place to HELP you.

I would advise you to speak with that store's Pet Care Manager so they can help you find a solution. :)

uhm. many places its illegal to remove creatures from their native water, especially the ocean, without some sort of license.

Just go to a good local fish store and not a big box pet store. And actually if you get wild caught fish its not true they will live longer. Thy will most likely be more finicky with water quality, pH, salinity for your salties, and all that good stuff.

So never buy fish from petsmart, meijer or whatever! Stick to your small fish stores who specialize with fish!

i to had a problem. i went to this pet smart which was on th wrong side of town, and my fish started threatening me, my fish threatened me by leaving messages on the bowl.

my aunt got it to me from a possessed pet store.

my fish started killing people and everyone thought that it was me who was doing the killing, i went to return it and they said they had lots of evil animals, they had evil dogs, evil cats ect. they were evil because they built the store on an ancient indian burial ground, they pissed on the graves and the ghosts werre angry to be disturbed that they made everyone angry.

I'm with Tasha on this one. I don't buy fish.

If I want a fish, I'll go to the river, lake, or ocean and get what I want.

They live much longer than store bought fish. Peace.

I too have found this problem with petsmart. Although our friend Tasha here seems to have much to say on any petsmart review lol. Maybe you could let me know where you are shopping now since petsmart fish have managed to spread their diseases to my fish that I haven't had a problem with in many years!

Well why do you need information on how to take care of fish if you already know how doing this for three to five years.

ID
#197009 Review #197009 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Wilton, California
Loss

Sold us bad fish on many occasions

Petsmart on 137ave in edmonton has sold us fish with ick on 2 occasions now. They then refuse to take the fish back or supply the treatment. They're fish have managed to kill off almost all of our healthy fish in the aquarium. They consistantly say that they do not...

yes Petsmart totally sucks new fish kill your existing fish what can we do to stop this

ID
#196307 Review #196307 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Edmonton, Alberta

Overcharged for rabies shot. $54.00 come on

I went to get my dog groomed at petsmart and he is a puppy and needed his rabies shot, so I took him to the vet inside the petsmart in mckinney texas and told them he needed a simple rabies shot. After giving my dog the shot they proceded to tell me that I owed them...

If you go to the doctor for a shot, do you not pay for the visit and the shot? Same with vets.

They do not work for free.

All those other vets probably do charge $13 for the shot. Did you ask them how much their office charge was?

ID
#193156 Review #193156 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Reston, Virginia

Petsmart Hotel infected my dog with K9 Influenza

My dog caught canine Influenza at the Torrance Petsmart Hotel. She was there for 6 nights. Brought in a healthy dog, got one back that lost 10% of her body weight and was almost dead. No one even called us or took her to the Vet. Vet bill was $1500 and we were able to get Petsmart to pay half. I threatened a strike in front of the store. Corporate is a waste of time. There is a vaccine for this disease but Petsmart is not requiring it unlike other boarding facilities. Petsmart Hotel is a horrible place that almost killed my dog. My Vet never expected my 3 year old Lab to survive. Please tell a friend.

My husband is the author of this blog and in our defense K9 influenza is not heard of in our area. We live in California and our vet didn’t even know what had infected our dog until she met with a group of colleagues and discussed it.

None of the vets she met with even carried the vaccine until our dog open their eyes that this has now hit California. We are responsible dog owners and go overboard with everything. We don’t do the minimum. If there is a vaccine that is recommended by the dry we get it.

Not to mention her physical that is done every 6 months. My husband was trying to express obviously the dog was sick in their care and they ignored it to the point that the influenza progressed to pneumonia. How could the care takers not see that.

If my kid gets a runny nose at school they call me and I pick him up. This is all once again coming up because the manager of the store and pet hotel had neglected another dog and the owner is asking our help to open corporate eyes.

dog lover - Canine influenza and Bordetella are two totally different viruses and require two different vaccines. I agree with Rebecca. As a responsible owner you should have asked for the vaccine yourself.

Actually, the PetsHotel DOES require ALL dogs to be up to date on their Bordetella shots, which IS the Kennel Cough vaccine. While I'm sure they are sorry that your dog acquired kennel cough, if you would read up on it then you would know that there is NO amount of sanitation that can kill an airborne virus, no matter how hard they try.

#207372

This is a horrible story and I can't believe the employees didn't notice that your dog was sick and take it to the vet. However, you are required to sign paperwork prior to your dog being boarded which states that they are not responsible if by some chance your dog gets sick or injured while in their care. This is a prime example of how important it is to read what you are signing and make yourself an informed consumer.

They should have let you strike in front of the store and called the police on you. Also you should not owning pets, you neglect them.

Sounds like you should have read up and known that the risk of K9 influenza is increasing and had your dog vaccinated against it. Clearly, somebody else was thinking they could get by with the bare minimum (rabies vaccination only) and brought their dog in, same as you - not vaccinated as much as they COULD be.

It's like taking your child to daycare without a flu vaccine, and then complaning about them getting the flu.

And whose fault is that? :]

Mountain View, California

PetsMart policies spread disease

I am extremely upset with Petsmart. I bring my dog, who was healthy, to the Petsmart for a grooming and a week later she has a severe case of Kennel Cough. I know that she caught this during the grooming session as she is an "inside dog" and does not come into contact...

That's to bad....We had our dog groomed at a PerSmart and two days later she wasn't eating. Took her to the vet four days later and told us she had anemia.....two weeks later we lost our dog.

The vets couldn't tell us what caused it after a blood transfusion and an overnight stay at the pet hospital we brought her home. She seemed to be getting better and then overnight took a turn for the worse with trouble breathing. Before she went to be groomed she was healthy and had no issues.

Coincidence, I'm not sure.... Protect your pets and check-out places before you take them.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Whitby, ontario Petsmart is cruel and dishonest.
I took my shitzui to pet smart a month ago, we asked them to get rid of his not so matted hair, they said that it will have to be shaved off to one inch, So I said no problem, I went back and he got totally shaved, he was in total shock and distress, above all he was...

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a shih yzu myself named Peanut butter, and after we changed her food to the brand Nutro because she had a corn allergy, after being on the food for only 4 months, we started to notice changes in her behavior, like she was having accidents in the house, which she never had before, she stopped playing with her toys, she stopped eating her food, and then, the big one, she started having petite mal seizures.

We took her to the vet's office and her white count was sky high, and several of her systems were affected. We found out that the FDA were conducting an investigation into that company due to complaints from consumers about their dogs having seizures and dying. I don't blame any store because there wasn't a recall on the food. I do blame the FDA however for knowing that this problem is going on, killing so many people's beloved pets, and not pulling the food off the shelves, just leaving it there so it could kill more pets.

So, I am so very sorry for your loss. I will pray for you and Fluffy.

I hope that you can at least be at peace knowing that he is not in any pain, although I know that is often of little comfort to us when we so wish our loved ones were here with us. I know that he's here with you in your heart.

Pickering, Ontario

PetSmart Fish Infected my Tank

I have a general rule about buying fish at PetSmart. Never do it. Three times now, I have bought fish from two different PetSmarts in two states (West Virginia and Iowa) and all three times the new fish brought ick into my tank and killed the fish. This most recent...

I just bought 4 new tetra to put with the few fish I had and within 3 days they all started to show signs of fin rot! It was a fungus and I started treatment same day but was too late.

All of the fish died. One of them we had since my daughters first tank over 6 years ago! And the customer service lady was so super rude over the phone acting like I have no idea on what I am talking about. I have had tanks for over 15 years!

I will never get fish from them again.

So disappointing. Metro location in Phoenix AZ

Washington, District Of Columbia
Petsmart Cashier

Petsmart injuried dog

At Petsmart on White Horse Pike in Lawnside N.J my dog (german shepherd) was injured while being groomed. Upon arriving to pick up my dog Aimee the grooming manager told be the dog got a small brush burn while being groomed. When they brought my dog out 1/2 of his body had brush burn and was bleeding. This is AMINAL CRUETLY!! Waited for VEt and store manger and then was told that stoere manager was not in store he just left. ANIMAL CRUELTY instead of grooming! I then called 911 to have police come to store and report this cruetly!

I have a terrible experience with my german shepherd at the same Petsmart on White Horse Pike in Lawnside N.J. They have groomers that are untrained and don't know what they are doing.

MY dog's entire back was bleeding from a grooming tool that was not used properly. I did call the police as this is animal cruelty! The groomer was sent home, the manger was useless!

I complained to the corporate office. DO NOT Take YOUR Animal to get Groomed at this location!

#542067

Scotticus, I am a groomer with Petsmart and some groomers don't know how to handle the dogs at all. They cause injuries and sometimes death.

Petsmart recognizes this and that is why they compensate for these injuries. Brush burn can be prevented regardless of matting or not. If a groomer feels uncomfortable with the condition of a dog they can always deny service. However, they don't.

If they ignored her or did not respond in a satisfactory manner (e.g. Showing care/concern for a bleeding pet) then as an employee I would have encouraged her to call the local authorities.

@PissedConsumer542067

Just so you know, it turned out it wasn't brush burn at all. The dog had a skin condition the owner did not inform the groomers about.

It *appeared* like brush burn during the bath/blow dry and we assumed responsibility and rushed the dog to the in-store vet immediately. The dog had been partially brushed prior to bath, due to excessive coat from lack of regular grooming.

When the Bather was rinsing, the hair separated and the skin did not look normal. It was dark red. All over.

The salon manager saw this and assumed brush burn. But brush burn is weepy, bloody. There was no actual blood. Just a lot of weird red.

And brush burn calms down after a while and is just pink with small scabs. From the time the brush was used to the time the owner left the store, there was plenty of time for the rash to recede. It did not, it stayed bright red.

The vet was in surgery and the dog was waiting to see him the minute he got done.

Which was only another ten minutes when the owner went from calm and cooperative to COMPLETELY INSANE. She dragged her poor dog to the front of the store, where the store manager, assistant manager, and salon manager were trying to resolve the issue and make sure the dog saw a vet (even their own vet... whichever). The owner asked all our full names and the corporate office number, which we gave without a problem.

Then she began SCREAMING at the front of the store to people entering, that we were all (by name) animal abusers and we beat her dog and a number of obscenities and untrue accusations.

When she finally exited the store, apparently she called the local police from the parking lot. They then came in and talked to us, and then determined that the woman needed to leave because SHE was making a scene and causing a problem.

We followed up with multiple phone calls trying to determine the health of the dog and with intentions of paying the bill! Which when we finally got a hold of her, she claimed was thousands of dollars. But would not give us the bill.

Would not disclose the veterinarian for contact?? If the big bad store cost you thousands of dollars, why in the WORLD would you not want to cooperate with reimbursement??? Hmmm....

Fortunately, we already had the contact. And while they would not disclose details for privacy, we found out that the redness was NOT our doing, that it was pre-existing, and they never even took the dog in, let alone racked up "thousands" of dollars in bills.

I cried for a week after this lady screamed at us. Then I cried for another week when I found out the truth and that this poor animal was ignored and his skin condition untreated. Talk about animal (or aMINal) cruelty... :sigh I didn't even know this site existed, but it cracks me up.

It's like a haven for deluded people with no where else to complain their mostly INvalid complaints.

Your post sounds ridiculously biased. Also calling 911 for in your words "aminal cruetly" does not count as an emergency the emergency operator probably told you thats not an emergency and hung up. You're probably one of those pet owners that has no idea how to care for an animal; so you bring in this completely untrained matted dog and shrug off the responsibility while the groomer has a *** of a time trying to do anything with it.

@Scott Vtp

Amazingly insightful, and spot on accurate! :)

I would have called 911 as well. That is ridiculous.

Collingswood, New Jersey
Petsmart Grooming Service

Punctured my dog's eyeball at the groomers.

I took my yorkie to get groomed and picked him up with a punctured eyeball. His eye was tearing and it looked irritated, I thought his allergies were acting up. I spent a week medicating him for his allergies. When his eye would not get better, I took him to the vet and was told his eye was punctured. Nobody at Petsmart had the decency to tell me that something had happened to him so I could get him immediate treatment. That is the least they could have done. They have a vet clinic right there at the store, they could have taken him to get checked. That would have been the humane thing to do and the right thing to do. When I called the store and talked to the manager, all he said was "if you can prove that it happened here, we will pay for the vet bills". Not even an apology!!! And how could I "prove" it? My poor dog could have lost his eye and has been suffering for almost 3 weeks now. Not to mention the hundreds of dollars on vet bills. I have taken my dog there for 5 years and never really been impressed with the employees at the groomers. Everytime I am there standing waiting on service, there is always someone yelling at a dog or yanking on them. I guess that should have been my first clue. I will never, ever again take my dog to any Petsmart and I would not recommend it.

As a former groomer, I would never hide an injury to a dog I groomed. An injury can happen that you might not be aware of, but chances are they knew the eye was injured.

I have personally taken a dog to the vet when I accidentally cut him and I paid the bill myself.

For the person that thought the eye would shrivel up, that is not true if it is treated promptly. I work with a dog rescue and have had successfully treated several dogs with eye punctures or eye ulcers without them losing their eye.

That is so mean that they did that. I have a Maltese and they never can get the tearing off her face so i have to do it.

If he had apologized you would of used it as an admission of guilt.

I didn't want anything for free. I wanted them to be honest and tell me they hurt my dog so I could get it taken care of and not have him suffer. Wouldn't you expect the same?

Why would you let your dog suffer for three weeks? And yes you have to prove it people are always trying to get something for free.

If the dogs eye was punctured there wouldn't be an eyeball there anymore, it would shrivel up and there would be nothing there.

Why would you keep going there for 5 years if you didnt like the service?

:?

View more comments (6)
Orlando, Florida

Petsmart sad waste

Info for all who shop at Petsmart. Did you know how much they throw away in food that could be donated to rescues? I understand it is company policy to not give to rescues. It really blew my mind when I saw workers cutting collars and leashes that were discontinued...

I just this am delivered at petsmart in sicklerville nj I watched a employee throw 12 bags of dry food away but before it went in dumpster she sliced every bag open and dumped the food. Total waste and shame they could call a shelter or rescue and they would be grateful to come and get it.

Dearborn, Michigan

Petsmart and store manager

Today, Saturday, March 13, 2010 I took my two dogs, Camilla and Ruby to Petsmart for their grooming, a bath and haircut. As I was waiting for the groomer to finish with Camilla's haircut, I took a picture of her standing and looking adorable on the grooming table, as...

I'm at petsmart in west Nashville where I take my dog and cat for vet care. While waiting I browsed the store, filling my basket with things I needed when I saw a particularly vibrant chameleon and took a pic. Tried to anyway, before I'd even gotten my phone in focus I had two employees on me saying no photos. The guy who said it was polite but the second one went back and alerted someone as while I am sitting by the vet office with my phone I've had two more employees approach me asking if I am taking pictures.

I have since returned every item in my basket back to their shelves, under the watchful eye of the guy who told me no photos in the first place.

I'm very calm and polite, well dressed though my hair is a bit mussed up from the wind outside, and they are watching me like a hawk. When I pay for my dog's vet visit I will ask the receptionist about it.

Los Angeles, California
Petsmart Grooming Service

PetSmart.com in-store returns are a rip-off

Purchased a dog crate table top from petsmart.com that was not available at my local store. Item received damaged. Petsmart.com and the included invoice both state that online returns are accepted at stores. Convenient right? But what the site and invoice fail to tell you is if you want your shipping refunded you have to mail the item back. So now I'm at the store being told this by the manager and somebody on their 1-800 number. Considering my box weighed over 30lbs with minimum 30 X 45 inch dimensions, and tired of schlepping it across town I told them I'd eat the $6.00 shipping. Too bad, I was prepared to receive my refund and just order a new one from petsmart.com. Now they lost a families business for life. It's all about principles.

A dog medium size dog kennel was purchased online from Petsmart.com

It arrived in a huge box. I fail to understand why they do not provide return shipping label for Hawaii people.

The shipping they charged me was 8.99 via UPS. When I tried to call and ask them for refund shipping label, they said only if it was damaged. The wrong size was not acceptable by them. What is their problem?

We have 1 petsmart on the island, but it is 35 miles away. Taking it to UPS store and pay for the shipping, is $100.00 because of the size of the box they shipped it. Who would pay that much for return shipping and they will not refund you? :( Calling the 1 store on the island, they said that they will not let you send the item to them for a refund.

I would have to go 35 miles on the other side of the island to return that *** dog kennel. Okay so if you don't live on the island and you live on the United States, you are asking whats 35 miles? Well with the traffic and road conditions, come drive on the island and see how crazy it gets. :upset

I refuse to shop online at Petsmart.com They have a very bad return item policy.

The customer service on phone and email show very bad customer service. They harass you on the phone, if you reply back to them in email "YOU Suck" :grin

On the invoices of all petsmart.com delivers say in BOLD

"Return to our warehouse or to a local PetSmart near you, shipping costs WILL NOT BE REFUNDED if they are locally returned"

*has been that way sense 2008 when I made my first online order*

Secondly yes its a hassle to return it but you seriously stopped shopping at PetSmart bc of $6? You not realize PetCo prices are more expensive so you waste more money on teh same stuff.

View more comments (1)
ID
#172063 Review #172063 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Petsmart Manager

Irrate manager/poor grooming for pet/store 0288 in morrow, georiga 30260

Store # 0288 located at 1986 Mt.zion rd in Morrow, Georgia 30260. My dog appt was on 1-22-2010 at 12:30 p.m, the groomer was finished with him at 6:48 p.m. almost 7 hours. His ears and toenails were not done. I asked them to make sure that his anal glands were expressed, this was not done. When I spoke to Don mgr. he said petsmart don't give refunds. he said I was lying bout the groomer tht there was no groomer there named harvey. i don't have anything for my money, pet looks awful and poor customer service
#120074

I THINK THAT THE MGR SHOULD HAVE LISTEN TO CUSTOMER,DEALT WITH PROBLEM IN A BETTER WAY,BECAUSE A GOOD CUSTOMER IS THE SOURCE OF GOOD PR WITH OTHER CUSTOMER ;)

Rex, Georgia
Loss

Convinced to buy first shield.

My toy poodle got fleas for the 2nd time in her 8 yr. life. I went to Pet Smart and they convinced me that First Shield is the Best thing on the market Better than Frontline they said. "NOT" I came home and applied it and 10 days later we are still battling this...

I have always used first shield my cat has a flea allergy never had a problem using first shiels

Athens, Georgia

Inconvenient return refunds

What's up with Petsmart not processing refunds online in their stores anymore? I had an unpleasant time at the Petsmart Pasadena CA store today when I made a return and found they have gone backwards in time and no longer process refunds online. They are now doing it manually so customers are burdened with having to audit their credit card statements to make sure their credit was indeed posted by a Petsmart's night clerk. There are other less expensive stores like Petco, Walmart and Target that sell pet products and treat customers better - so why go through refund inconvenience? I will never shop at Petsmart again.

Have you ever walked into a walmart? Their customer service sucks.

If you shop at petsmart often, just ask for a store gift card. You got your money back in a safe manner, and you can use it next month for dog food.

I was just googling petsmart and return issues and I agree with the not buying from them again..I went to petsmart last week and forgot the credit card I always use. I used my back up card that is never used.

I bought a dog door, got the wrong size and returned it 30 minutes later. They did the 'old fashioned' return with the carbon copy of the card and sure enough 2 hours later I got a call from that card (citibank) and my number was stolen and used it 3 online transactions!!

That was the only place I used it and literally within an hour of me leaving someone charged a little over $400 on the card (Itunes and some GNC type of place)...Thank goodness Citibank caught it early, called us and shut the card off and we didnt have to pay for it...I cant believe Petsmart still uses the old fashioned way..So I wont buy anything from them anymore..I cant take the chance that I may have to return something some day. Luckily we have other pet stores!

Jason is absolutely right. Do you think we WANT to go through all that trouble to do it manually?

Not at all! As a matter of fact, it's a hassle for the cashiers to have to call up a manager every time a credit card return comes around.

There are legal issues involved in doing it through the computers now, so in order to protect you, we're doing it manually until we can get a new, safe system. And yes, the managers absolutely shred the slips after they're done.

To say you will never shop at PetSmart again because of the return procedure is very immature!!!! Don't you think?

The process is being done this way to protect our customers due to fact that our return process was not 100% encrypted. So someone could break into the system and steal your credit card #.

A night clerk does not do the return. It is either the Store Manager or Operations Manager and it is done the next morning. The process is completed on a secure website in the Managers office. The paperwork is then shredded.

The amount of time to add back to your account was not changed.

PetSmart still processes it quickly but if it takes 10 days then blame VISA. PetSmart is in the process of getting this fixed.

The way it was explained to me is that due to some new laws, they have to process returns in this manner because their system before was not encrypted to prevent hackers from stealing our information. I guess it is for our protection.

There are plans for them to update their software to make things convenient again. In the meantime, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry even if it is a little inconvenient.

Los Angeles, California